modern living + innovative design + inspiring ideas
LBL Batons Satin Nickel Suspension Pendant Light
“When lighting looks like art, you know you have a winner!”
- D. Shultz, Interior Designer
About Euro Style Home
The Art Story
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License.
Because it is low temperatures at my home right now, all I can think about is how to stay warm and comfortable. I’m especially fond of white fireplaces in modern spaces. Fireplaces, preferably white and modern, give that instant warm gratification even when they’re not on. The look and appeal of a fireplace is cozy, satisfying and stylish.
We see in the space above a beautiful, grand fireplace paired with modern furniture and flooring. The juxtaposition is perfect! Also, large mirrors displayed above the fireplace always make it even more perfect.
This brick fireplace got a new lease on life by being painted white. Against the white washed floors, the fireplace totally pops and looks extremely cool.
For a simple look, this fireplace was decorated with a small bouquet of peonies and a few pieces of art. The fireplace acts as a great display area for pretty items. You could even adorn it with refined modern walls sconces, maybe flanking your favorite artwork.
Here’s another brick fireplace painted white. The cool thing about this space is that the entire back wall is white brick which gives the sense of bigness and grandness. And we also see another large mirror displayed above the fireplace which creates a taller ceiling space.
All four of these fireplaces give me the bug to reface my own!
Images: Living, Simply Grove, Bread & Olives, Little Girl Big City.
Image from SF Girl by Bay
I am really loving the simplicity in all things relating to home design lately. A simple white lamp, a plain ottoman. So many simple things in one space doesn’t always feel too bland or boring. It has been making me feel clean and fresh and I am loving it!
This kitchen above is kind of a dream kitchen for me right now. Simple modern hanging light fixtures for a designer look, a few minimal bar stools and a big farm-like table for everyone to gather around to help cook and hang out. Doesn’t that sound amazing? I think so!
So let’s try our hand at recreating this room, shall we?
White Frosted Glass 20 1/2-Inch-W George Kovacs Pendant, Zuo Twin Peaks Modern Wood 30 3/4-Inch-H Bar Stool, Jamie Young Campaign Silver 30-Inch-H Folding Dining Table
First off, the lamps.... These are a little different, but has the same basic white simplicity and I love it. They bring some whimsy to the space without being childish or busy. And the light they provide would be subtle and clean, not overbearing.
The bar stools are simple and minimal with an industrial vibe, which is perfect I think. They are big enough to fulfill their need but don’t take over the space with excess bulk.
And the table... A big, beautiful, wood table. The one in the inspiration picture is similar, but I might like this all wood table even better! It’s simpler and the design of the table is a little cleaner which is a definite plus in my book.
There! We’ve done it! Here is our recreated dream kitchen. Man, do I love it.
Image: SF Girl by Bay
Image from RTL Woon Magazine
Midnight black is a chameleon of sorts when it comes to home styling. It's modern, it's elegant, it's rich, and more. Black goes with everything and has the ability to transform an entire room.
ve even been toying with the idea of painting my fireplace this darkest of darks, but you don't have to go to such extremes to incorporate this bold color into your space.
You can never go wrong with clean lines. The Hubbard Forge Stone Grey Pendant Chandelier brings a natural rounded design and sleek suede shade to the game. The stem even allows for adjustable height, making it a great pick for any room.
Don't neglect your outdoor lighting, it can add so much curb appeal! This Forecast Midnight Black Round Outdoor Light is both contemporary and simple. Add one on either side of your front door for a sophisticated entrance.
You rarely see mercury glass with a black finish, which makes me love this Modern Flynn Mercury Black Table Lamp all the more! It's sure to be a show-stopping conversation piece, all while providing an artful touch to whatever space it's in.
A glossy finish has a way of setting off midnight black like no other color. This mid-century inspired Wilco Black Zuo Dining Table is the perfect example with an air of casual elegance and chicness.
A floor lamp with a turned candlestick base? The Trump Home Soho Gloss Black Floor Lamp is like nothing I've seen before – gorgeous, intricate, and elegant. It's enhanced proportions will add to any decor.
Die cast aluminum blades and a translucent diffuser give the Uber Gloss Black Pendant Light a glow and glisten like no other! Suspend a few above your bathroom vanity or in the kitchen for that extra wow factor.
Image: RTL Woon Magazine
1. Pick modern, white lighting for your walls and ceilings. White always looks modern and fresh and the whimsicality and playfulness can come from the shape of the light. I know my toddler would love that Lilypad Possini Euro Ceiling Light (below). She'd be mesmerized by all of the lights and point and smile in delight!
2. Pick modern kids furniture with amorphous shapes. The amorphous silhouettes of the 1960's will retain their classic, cool for years to come. For example, an S-chair and tulip-base-table have design details with longevity. And to make good news even better, your toddler won't get any horrible bumps or bruises from the furniture's sleek round edges!
Zuo Drop Stool Red ABS Fiberglass Modern Chair, Zuo Modern White 33-Inch-H Set of 2 S-Chairs, Wilco Glossy Yellow Modern 22 3/4-Inch-H Zuo Side Table, Genie Brushed Pink 10-Inch-H Touch Desk Lamp, Kite White and Blue Ikat Fabric Throw Pillow, Jonathan Adler Lantern White Wall Sconce, Jonathan Adler Reform White Wall Sconce, Haley Steel Modern 19-Inch-H Table Lamp with Touch Switch, Mid-Century Modern Coral Linen 32-Inch-H Annabelle Chair
3. Pick design objects that work like magic. The touch sensor lamps turn on and off with a simple touch. Your toddler will learn to turn it on and off easily and you can use the lamp as a teaching tool to teach your little-one to say words like 'on' and 'off'--and the style could easily be used as a desk lamp for kids and teens alike.
4. Use accessories with classic patterns. Patterns like ikat will never go out-of-style and these throw pillows would add a lovely punch of pattern to any room, for kids and adults.
5. Pick upholstered furniture. Upholstered furniture is great because it has padding to prevent injuries for clumsy toddlers, and if it has classic lines, like this Mid-Century Modern Annabelle Chair (above), then you can always get it recovered years down the line and it can grow up with your family.
Images: Modern Baby, Décor Pad, Alexis Lane
Pantone Reveals Color of the Year for 2014: Radiant Orchid!
You don't have to twist our arms to incorporate this fabulous palette in any design. It's fresh, young and full of energy. It also works with many styles, whether you love a modern home or something more transitional.
We've put together a little product round up to help you get started with this fabulously radiant color choice from Pantone. You can get started with some purple chairs and you can never go wrong styling your décor with purple pillows.
1. Marvel Contemporary Violet and Chrome Van Teal Table Lamp 2. Kite Purple Ikat Feather and Down Throw Pillow 3. Alara Fabric Cover Berry Pillow 4. Set of 2 Baby Anime Acrylic Purple Zuo Kids Armchairs 5. Zuo Big Wave Purple 29 1/2-Inch-H Outdoor Folding Table 6. Radiant Orchid Apothecary Table Lamp 7. Koncept Gen 3 Z-Bar Purple Warm Light Modern Desk Lamp 8. Zuo Lider Plus Purple Chrome 19-Inch-W Office Chair
Euro Style Home Blog
Receive the latest offers, promotions, and ideas... Sign Up For Email Alerts!