modern living + innovative design + inspiring ideas
Dart Modern Bronze 21-Inch-WPendant Light
“If you don’t include at least one geometric design in your home, shame on you!”
- P. Daniels, Photo Stylist
About Euro Style Home
Dwell on Design
My Modern Met
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License.
Let's talk about your bedroom style. Whether it's the month of February (Valentine's Day) or any other month of the year, you want your bedroom to be a space filled with love and feature a design that supports that love. Right? Ok, here's some tips...
1. Center Your bed. Beds that are crammed into one corner make it hard to get in and out with ease. If you want two to tango–you gotta let the energy flow!
2. Romantic lighting in the bedroom is key: Soft, flattering and romantic light creates mood. Be sure to have mood lighting in the bedroom that can be adjusted from the bed. Whether it’s modern wall lights with sophisticated style, a bed-side lamp with dimmable lights or a modern floor lamp. Just be sure that the light is soft, flattering and romantic. Edison-Style light bulbs give an old-timey feel and have an amber glow that are warm and flattering. And colored lamps, like this red, glass pendant lamp or this wire pendant--can create an instant racy and romantic vibe.
Geo Damask White Solid Wood Queen Nailhead Wingback Bed / Jayne Oat Beige Glazed Ceramic Robert Abbey Table Lamp / Sonneman Lina Black Brass 57-Inch-H Floor Lamp / Tesler Edison Style Candelabra Base 60W Light Bulb / Possini Euro Darby Black with Red Glass Pendant Light / Caycee Red 1-Light 14-Inch-W Modern Pendant
3. Candles are a must. Candles emanate heat, the perfect amber light and flicker, and they smell good. Be smart about candle placement (for obvious reasons) but use candles abundantly. My favorite sexy scents are gardenia and citrus.
4. Bring in Fresh Florals: Pinpoint the kind of romance you want to bring into the space when picking out the flowers. Want to have a sweet night? Go with roses. Want to have a spicy night? How about Birds of Paradise? Looking for a cuddly night? Try Irises. In the mood for adventure? Try red poppies.
5. Good music can make or break a romantic mood. My vote goes for a little Brazilian jazz!
Images: Direkt Press Goteborg, Terrys Fabrics Blog
Yellow is the color of happiness and this is true for home design as well. Though it conjures up images of sunshine and daffodils, yellow can be drowning and cause exhaustion to the eye when used too much so be careful.
When used sparingly however, it can be refreshing, unexpected, and joyful. Like lemon juice, try focusing the yellow in a small concentrated dose. Using yellow in such small amounts is especially successful when the other colors in the room are muted or neutral so that the color pops. Some combinations to consider are whites, blacks, greys and navys.
Here are some additional ways to freshen up your home with the color yellow.
1. Paint just the panes of your windows. By doing so, you’re focusing the attention on the beautiful outdoors while also creating an unexpected focal point.
2. Upholster matching armchairs in solid yellow, like this angelo:HOME Lily Saffron Zig Zag 30-Inch-H Accent Chair. Notice, that everything else in the room is neutral but flows well because of additional brightening colors like the gold accents.
3. A yellow sofa, like the Ennis Modern Golden Yellow Groove Sofa. The biggest way to add an impact to any room is to upholster a sofa in a bright, solid color like yellow. It instantly becomes the focal point to the room and draws the attention to the full space so that the room appears large. Combine the yellow with graphic pops of blacks and whites for a modern, young look.
4. A painted staircase. Nothing says unexpected like a colorful staircase. This industrial piece all of a sudden becomes whimsical and refreshing.
5. Yellow fridge. If you’re lucky enough to go with a fun fridge, try a yellow one. The color yellow increases the appetite so it’s the perfect use of the color.
6. Speaking of yellow in a kitchen, this more green/yellow applied to the kitchen cabinets is one that doesn’t scream out so much and fits well with the neutral décor.
Are you a fan of using the color yellow?
Images: Designspiration, Mark D. Sikes, Apartment Therapy, Sunnys Blog, The House That Lars Built, Moss Eclectic
When choosing modern lighting for any space, I live by two mantras… The bigger the better, and if you can hang it you should. Which usually implies using beautifully oversized chandeliers.I just adore the drama that a chandelier brings. And when done correctly it can literally be the jewelry of the room, the focal point, and in many cases a work of art.
With so many options out there it’s important to determine a few things right of the bat. The first being what kind of look are you trying to achieve? Modern, delicate, simple, etc? For example, try a glass chandelier for a more delicate look while a brass chandelier with modern bulbs can help you create a more contemporary aesthetic.
Also what size will truly work in the space? While I love anything oversized, it is true that sometimes oversized is just not going to work. For example, bathrooms and nurseries don’t often allow for enough space to hang anything super sized. No worries, there are plenty of mini chandelier options available that provide the same feeling, just on a smaller scale.
To help you begin your hunt for the perfect chandelier I’ve chosen my favorite looks from oversized to just the right size. For starters, you can never go wrong with the classic sputnik style chandelier like this Sputnik Modern Brass Crystal Jonathan Adler Chandelier. If you like a lot more bling, but still want to keep your home modern, then try this Bling Collection Convertible Robert Abbey Chandelier. The Possini Euro Design White Flower Acrylic Pendant Chandelier is always a classic, Mid-Century Modern look and is great for the living room or kids' room alike. If you prefer your chandeliers to feature less bling and more clean lines while still making a statement, then try shaded chandeliers like the Robert Abbey Porter Nickel 16 5/8-Inch-H Pendant Light or the Robert Abbey Axis Nickel with Scalloped Shade Pendant Light.
Image: Coco Kelly, Home Adore, Waiting on Martha
Image from Door Sixteen
One design event that we wish we could have attended was Design Week in Stockholm, Sweden. Luckily, bloggers are invited to report back and we'd like to share their recaps with you.
If you are able to attend events like these lucky bloggers, design events are great for getting inspired, learning about new designers or new projects that the experienced designers are working on. You also meet lots of creative people doing exciting things...
Anna Dorfman from Door Sixteen has a great eye and took beautiful photography, not only of the design event, but of Sweden as well. Head to her blog for more than one blog post about Stockholm Design Week.
Image from Vosgesparis
Blogger Vosgesparis has organized Design blog tours and in every country they visit, they work with different brands doing exciting things. In Stockholm they put together the Blogger Apartment. They were given an amazing space which they furnished with appliances, furniture and accessories from our sponsors.... Head to her blog for more and a few posts on the event as well.
Image from Design Milk
KatieTreggiden reported from Stockholm for Design Milk and she not only recapped her experiences, both in Sweden and at the design event, but she also had the opportunity to interview some of the designers.
Be sure to stay tuned for a recap of Modernism Week going on this weekend in Palm Springs....
Images: Door Sixteen, Vosgesparis, Design Milk
It's pretty well known that modern design makes us swoon over here. This kitchen design above is one example, with its clean lines and handsome materials.
What you may not know is that beautiful modern design can get even better with the addition of crystal chandelier, or two.
Rainfall Glass Drum Crystal Chandelier
Adding crystal chandeliers in unpredictable places, like this living room above, always makes for a fun design decision.
While a stylish floor lamp might work best in a living room, we think you can replace any predictable choice with a sparkling chandelier and achieve a designer aesthetic.
Chrome and Crystal 16-Inch-H Vienna Full Spectrum Chandelier
One of the most unpredictable places you can add a chandelier is the bathroom and we are here to tell you, it's a great choice.
While many ignore the design of the bathroom, we recommend beautifying that room, since it is where you prepare yourself to begin each day.
Belle of the Ball Crystal Chrome Three-Light Mini Chandelier
Images: Euro Style Lighting
Euro Style Home Blog
Receive the latest offers, promotions, and ideas... Sign Up For Email Alerts!