modern living + innovative design + inspiring ideas
Epic Modern Chrome39-Inch-H Table Lamp
"This lamp is perfect for the client who wants to go dark, while still maintaining the element of chic."
- B. Peterson, Interior Designer
About Euro Style Home
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License.
Image from Helen Green Design
Good weather is nearly upon us, which means we get to spend more time on our outdoor style. Hooray! I don’t know about you, but I’m ready to be out and about enjoying it all. Why not enjoy warmer weather all from a thoughtfully designed outdoor space?!
Outdoor spaces tend to take a back seat to the design of interiors but in the warmer months, they could certainly be used more if only styled in the right way. Here’s how to do it.
1. Create focal points. Create focal points with your outdoor spaces with planters and arches. These arches dramatically frame an otherwise boring hallway. Now, they make you feel like you’re in the Mediterranean.
2. Built-ins. Rather than bring in temporary furniture, make it a bit more permanent with built in furniture like this sofa placed in a nook. Painted in the color of the walls, it feels cohesive. I’d love to bring my laptop and work in the space!
3. Plan for people. Style a space based on the functions of what people will do. If you want to eat, set up a bistro table and chairs.
4. Model your outdoor space like a living room. Bring the same techniques of an interior to the outside. Set up a sofa with coffee table surrounded by chairs and don't forget the outdoor lighting!
5. Style for small spaces. Even small spaces can serve a function. Adapt your function so that it is useable. Instead of placing a full table with chairs, adapt it to 2 lounging chairs with a small side table.
6. Fruit trees! Bring a pop of color into green spaces with a fruit tree, specifically a citrus tree. The pops of orange or lemon will add a touch of color and whimsy.
7. Single tree. Let the architecture of the space speak with a simple tree in a courtyard. The focus becomes the beautiful lines of the tree.
8. Lighting. Lighting is paramount at night. Whimsy it up with beautiful outdoor lighting.
9. Use wood boxes as planters to frame a bench, like the top image. So easy!What are your tips for an outdoor space?
Images: Helen Green Design, Group 1: Sarah Cain Design, House Beautiful, Mark D. Sikes, The Home Journal Group 2: The Style Saloniste, Vecro Ave, JTJ Design, Entouriste
Receive the latest offers, promotions, and ideas... Sign Up For Email Alerts!