Free Shipping on All Orders*
modern living + innovative design + inspiring ideas
About Euro Style Home
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License.
Image from Quince With Sugar
One of my favorite elements of design is scale, whether you're following the rules of proportion or totally ignoring them. I love how changing the scale of just one item can impact a whole room.
For example, enlarging a love seat to a full sofa takes it from cute and petite to large and in charge. Or decreasing the size of a lazy boy to an ottoman refines your seating arrangements.
Scale has so much power!
Image from Bloglovin
For me, scale is always important, but it's especially critical when deciding on modern lighting options. A small chandelier in a huge space can be dwarfed or a large floor lamp in a hallway can be overwhelming. If you pay attention to the other elements in the room then you can narrow down your options.
Here’s how I would select lighting based on scale.
1. Evaluate the space. Pay attention to the height of the ceiling, the width of the room, the other pieces of furniture in the space.
2. What’s the general style of the room? Are the pieces in your home oversized? Small? Perhaps you’d prefer a larger pendant if everything else in the room is smaller or a small pendant if everything else is large.
3. What are your needs? If you need lots of lighting, consider a diverse means of lighting. Or perhaps you just need a task lamp for a single function.
4. The golden mean. A general rule of thumb is the “golden mean” or basically the 1/3 rule. It’s one you can break a lot, but at least it’s a good starting point. One of my favorite ways to add a bit of fun into a space with scale is to include mini pendant lamps, like these options above. They're cute and helpful!
1. This amber glass pendant would be beautiful in a smaller room like a bathroom or laundry room. 2. This mercury glass pendant would be beautiful as a series of pendants lining a kitchen island. 3. This solid brushed steel pendant is perfect for a more industrial type space. 4. This nickel pendant lamp has a series of small bulbs that makes for loads of impact in a space. 5. This cute 7” steel and glass pendant is perfect for a cute accent mark in a space.
Images: Quince With Sugar, Bloglovin
How to Select Pendant Lighting Using Scale
Receive the latest offers, promotions, and ideas... Sign Up For Email Alerts!